By Will Spoor, War Bike Restorations, Houston, Texas

Sadly, Will passed away in 2011, but he left us this wonderful documentation of the tear-down for restoration of this KS750.

Zundapp KS750 Tank Logo

We built this custom sidecar dolly so we can move this beast around the shop with ease.

Zundapp KS750 on the stand (backside)

Ready for disassembly

The bike is sitting on a custom built stand to keep it in place while we work. We build a custom stand for every bike we restore.

On the workstand 1.

On the workstand 2.

Some broken off fins of the valve cover. The first sign that this thing was kind of beat up.

The front brake plate seems to be missing a few parts.

The couplers between the transmission and gear box is off just by a bit…. the ruler should sit level on the two.

Look closely at the fork tube on the right… notice the nice bend.

Proof that the rear main seal is leaking.

What danger lurks inside?

This particullar cyclinder had a actual head gasket, the other side had a cardboad one.

Our cylinder heads had two different types of valves in them, perhaps from a tractor of sorts?

One gasket is real the other is cardboard.

We use the old heat gun a lot… it keeps us from damaging parts as we disassemble them for repair.

More welds, a crack, paper bag gasket and the homemade thrust ring missing a screw.

Note the “slight” gap between the crank gear and cam gear. Do you think this engine had some timing issues.

Massive weld repairs and a homemade retaining ring. It is being held in place by one sheet metal screw… scary.

Our custom made clutch plate removal tool in action.

The flywheel is quite corroded. The regular flywheel nut has been replaced with a homemade one that has been tightened by a chisel and tack welded in place. The Factory nut takes around 140 ft/lbs of torque to seat. I doubt this is close.

The cylinders for this engine should be 75mm in diameter. We measured 77mm, not to mention that the cylinders have been re-sleeved and filed down by hand at the base.

The cylinder base gaskets were made from some old Polish detergent box. Look closely, you can see the lady’s smiling face…oh so happy about clean clothes

The rods in the motor have actually been cut and had a different end welded on them so that this unknown piston could be used.

The side of the crankcase was welded up and then had JB weld applied over the welds and then painted.

One of the many repairs this case has had over the years.

A welded up gear tooth that broke off and was floating in the gear box.

Input Shaft, a little chipped up.

The rear brake cylinder has been re-welded with some studs.

Many of the gears in the transmission have been re-welded and filed to fit.